Skip to main content

My Soapbox. Literally,


Growing up we never worried about chemicals.  Hand sanitizer wasn’t a thing.  There was no clipping one onto your purse for easy access.  No cart wipes at the grocery store, or cart covers for babies.  When I was about 14 I was burned really badly by the pipe on a motorcycle.  Instead of taking me to the hospital my mom said oh that’s not too bad, and took me for ice cream.  Sunscreen was not something that existed in our home, and we spent our summers swimming.  To this day if my husband cuts himself he wraps it with duct tape and goes on about his day without cleaning it. 

Things are different now though.  GMO’s have been around for years and years, but not to the extent we see now.  Microwaving food in plastic?  Probably not the best idea.  Buying the cheapest shampoo at the drugstore, why not?  It’s all the same right? Ok, let’s stop right there.  I was one of the people who would stock up on the $.99 Suave shampoo, and fill my shopping bag at the Bath and Body Works semi-annual sale.  The shampoo was so sudsy!  Sudsy =clean! And all the fruity tropical smells!  Walking around smelling like a fruit bowl has to be a good thing.  What I wasn’t doing what educating myself.  Those super suds in my shampoo, they come from sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), which is also a main ingredient in engine degreaser.  They’re also in the fruity soaps that smelled so nice.  You know what else is? Parabens, which have a known link to cancer, and triclosan, which is harmful to teens, and a known cause of dermatitis.  Now why would something in hand soap cause dermatitis?  Now, I’m not expert, nor am I a doctor.  What I definitely am is a reader, and when something catches my interest, you can be sure I’m going to read all I can and educate myself.  Have I dumped all the cleansers, shampoos, and soaps in my house? No.  I still use laundry detergent, dishwasher detergent, and the amazing substance that is blue Dawn dish soap. (Seriously this stuff cleans everything) But, I do only use shampoo free of parabens, and SLS.  Is it more expensive? Yes, but it lasts so much longer.  I try to only wash my hair once a week, and co-wash twice.  I’ve replaced regular hand soaps by making my own! You’d be surprised what some Dr. Bronner’s castille soap mixed with a carrier oil and little YLEO does to your hands.  And you dilute it so it’s cheaper!  I reuse the bottles and it costs me under $1 to make a bottle of soap.  Instead of pricey candles or air fresheners, I diffuse YLEO’s Purification.  Not only does it smell great, it’s actually eliminating the odors instead of covering them up. If I do buy bath products from the store, I try to go to LUSH so I can see exactly what's in them.

 I’m a water drinker, but plain water doesn’t do it for me.  Do you go to a restaurant and ask for water with lemon?  Think about this, that lemon you squeeze and drop in your water came from a grocer or produce distributor.  Do you think it was washed before it was sliced?  Did the person slicing it wear gloves?  Did the person putting it into your water have clean hands? You’re going to put that into your water and drink all the germies.  Why not instead order an ice water and put in a drop or two of YLEO lemon oil?

Really, I can go on and on about this.  And it will be a frequent topic of the blog.  Feel free to ask any questions about Young Living, I’m happy to share and to educate others!  If you’d like to explore Young Living on your own, please use my link.  http://yl.pe/w8t
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I like to have hobbies.   Sometimes I have a hard time sticking with one, or I get frustrated, but I like to stay busy.   Texas is hot, so in the summer if I’m not in the pool, I’m in the a/c.   The husband also works a couple weekends a month, so having something to pass the time when it’s just me and the kitties is always a good thing. I have a pretty decent sewing machine, and last year I decided it was time to be a quilter.   How hard can it be?   Let’s just say harder than I thought.   The one my brother and sister in law were gifted with is associated with a good amount of swearing, and as I told them, just don’t look at it too closely.   Since then my only real attempt at sewing anything was some panels and a valance for a friend at work.   They actually came out pretty good, but it didn’t give me the confidence to do more.   I’ve made a few aromatherapy rice bags (disclosure: I don’t use my YLEO oils on these, only the cheapies), but my sewing machine is back under the dus

The Lamb Cake

This was the first Good Friday I think I've ever worked.  It used to be a holiday for us, but when your company buys another company, not all good things come from it.  For the Polish, Easter is a bigger holiday than Christmas.  I was sitting in my office thinking about how there would be no Polish sausage, no lamb butter (in the shape of a lamb), and no lamb cake (again, no lambs harmed in making of cake).  I figured there had to be somewhere close by that I could get a lamb cake mold.  I started out calling the local craft stores, Hobby Lobby, Michael's, Jo-Ann's.  No luck.  Next, a google search.  I could order one from Amazon, but it wouldn't deliver until after Easter.  Finally, local bakeries and baking supply stores.  Success!  A baking supply store 45 miles from work had one vintage 3-D lamb cake pan.  I took a long lunch and for $5, and half a tank of gas, here he is! Saturday was the day.  I googled a lot of recipes, and saw a lot of fails.  I went with

Those links on the side - Part 3

So maybe I did save the best for last.  I followed  Love Your Melon  on social media for awhile before I was gifted one of their beanies for my birthday.  Living in Texas, there isn't a long season for needing beanies, and in the past the ones I've had I wore just as long as I had to because they would get so itchy.  All that changed with this black speckled beanie.  I can wear this all day long and it's so soft, it never bothers me! I love what LYM stands for.  They want to put a hat on every child battling cancer.  Not only that, but they give 50%(!) of their net profits to the Love Your Melon Fund to support non-profits in the fight against pediatric cancer.  I went from that one beanie to I think 5 or 6 now.  I had to add a couple of the lightweight beanies so I can extend my usage beyond our short winter.  Did I mention all their products are made in the USA?  There's really no reason to not run over and get yourself one.  Use my code @bchbnd and score free shi