Skip to main content

The Lamb Cake

This was the first Good Friday I think I've ever worked.  It used to be a holiday for us, but when your company buys another company, not all good things come from it.  For the Polish, Easter is a bigger holiday than Christmas.  I was sitting in my office thinking about how there would be no Polish sausage, no lamb butter (in the shape of a lamb), and no lamb cake (again, no lambs harmed in making of cake).  I figured there had to be somewhere close by that I could get a lamb cake mold.  I started out calling the local craft stores, Hobby Lobby, Michael's, Jo-Ann's.  No luck.  Next, a google search.  I could order one from Amazon, but it wouldn't deliver until after Easter.  Finally, local bakeries and baking supply stores.  Success!  A baking supply store 45 miles from work had one vintage 3-D lamb cake pan.  I took a long lunch and for $5, and half a tank of gas, here he is!

Saturday was the day.  I googled a lot of recipes, and saw a lot of fails.  I went with the one that seemed to have the highest success rate and followed the recipe exactly.  I didn't want the head to fall off when I was taking it our of the mold.  And guess what?  It worked!.
I let it cool for hours to make sure I would have issues with his face sliding off when I frosted it.  In the meantime, I made the frosting which ended up being enough to frost a real lamb.  This is after the lamb, and an additional cake were completed.
And yes, I made an additional cake thinking I would use up the rest of the frosting.  Note to self, next time 1/4 the recipe.  I should have known and 8-10 cups of powdered sugar it was too much.

I was going to just slap the frosting on it, but then my brother reminded me that it wouldn't be authentic.  (Thanks for that)  So off to Wal-Mart for disposable tips and piping bags.  In the end, I'm glad I did because I wouldn't have been as happy with the finished product.
He kind of looks like a poodle, but he was delicious!  I found some Polish sausage in my freezer, and because I hadn't punished myself enough with the hours of baking, made a few dozen pierogi.
I ended up having a somewhat traditional Polish Easter for the first time in years, and have some leftover pierogi to get me through a few months.

Oh and don't ask me to bake anything until at least next Easter.

Comments

  1. Haha, this made me chuckle. Yes, Easter is a big thing if you're Polish. I remember Uncle Ralph teasing your dad every year about his $100 ham. It wouldn't be Easter without the lamb cake/butter and Polish sausage. Nice job on the cake.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I like to have hobbies.   Sometimes I have a hard time sticking with one, or I get frustrated, but I like to stay busy.   Texas is hot, so in the summer if I’m not in the pool, I’m in the a/c.   The husband also works a couple weekends a month, so having something to pass the time when it’s just me and the kitties is always a good thing. I have a pretty decent sewing machine, and last year I decided it was time to be a quilter.   How hard can it be?   Let’s just say harder than I thought.   The one my brother and sister in law were gifted with is associated with a good amount of swearing, and as I told them, just don’t look at it too closely.   Since then my only real attempt at sewing anything was some panels and a valance for a friend at work.   They actually came out pretty good, but it didn’t give me the confidence to do more.   I’ve made a few aromatherapy rice bags (disclosure: I don’t use my YLEO oils on these, only the cheapies), but my sewing machine is back under the dus

Those links on the side - Part 3

So maybe I did save the best for last.  I followed  Love Your Melon  on social media for awhile before I was gifted one of their beanies for my birthday.  Living in Texas, there isn't a long season for needing beanies, and in the past the ones I've had I wore just as long as I had to because they would get so itchy.  All that changed with this black speckled beanie.  I can wear this all day long and it's so soft, it never bothers me! I love what LYM stands for.  They want to put a hat on every child battling cancer.  Not only that, but they give 50%(!) of their net profits to the Love Your Melon Fund to support non-profits in the fight against pediatric cancer.  I went from that one beanie to I think 5 or 6 now.  I had to add a couple of the lightweight beanies so I can extend my usage beyond our short winter.  Did I mention all their products are made in the USA?  There's really no reason to not run over and get yourself one.  Use my code @bchbnd and score free shi

Those links on the side - Part 1

Over on the right there are a couple codes and links.  Remember when I said I look for a discount code when I shop?  I took it a step further and became a brand ambassador for some of my favorite things in order to share discounts with others.  I'll preface this by saying these are brands that I personally use, and believe in their missions.  I don't represent anything that I wouldn't buy, and I hate seeing social media "influencers" hawking products that you know they don't use just to make a buck. First up, the first brand I became a Rep for -  Pura Vida .  The story behind PV is that the creators were traveling in Costa Rica when they came across artisans selling colorful, handmade bracelets.  After seeing the poverty they lived in, Griffin and Paul asked to buy 400 bracelets to take home to their friends.  Once they returned home to San Diego, they put the bracelets in a bowl at a boutique, and they sold out in days, with request for more of these "