Skip to main content

Let's Try This Again

So, I was coming back, right?  I somehow lost 3 months.  Not sure how that happened, but I'm going to try again.

September 10th was a dark day.  I went to work knowing that a layoff was coming, but it couldn't hit my department.  We all worked great together and we were all needed.  Maybe one person if absolutely necessary, but that's it.  Wrong!  As soon as I got the call to come downstairs I knew what was happening.  Myself, one person in my dept., and my boss - The Best Boss EVER were all laid off.  Apparently names were drawn from a hat.  I've never been in that position before, and it was awful.  By the time I hit the parking lot I had already contacted one of my vendors to see if they had an opening, and had an interview the next day.  I was unemployed a total of 5 days.  While my vendor did want to hire me, they took too long to make an offer.  I ended up back at the same campus, just a different division.  Didn't lose any of my benefits, vacation time, or seniority.  It was actually a promotion, and the best decision I could've made.  I love what I do even more than my previous position, which is hard to believe.

I was here for just about 2 months when I had to take 2 weeks off.  Last April I was diagnosed with uterine fibroids (by the way, does anyone know how big your uterus is supposed to be?  I do now!), and had the option to take them out via hysterectomy.  I was all for that, so we scheduled the surgery for Nov 20.  Normally, they tell you to take 6 weeks off; I opted for 2.  So I go in for pre-op the day before and he's pushing around and thinks my uterus has doubled in size since April, and I'm going to need a vertical incision.  I had already read up on it and expected the vertical incision, however when he said so we can keep going up as far as we need to I thought am I going to end up with a zipper?

Surgery day.  I've never been admitted into a hospital before, but my sister-in-law is a pro so she flew down to be with me.  I remember scooting off the gurney onto the table, and I was out.  Woke up very upset at having the oxygen mask on, which turned out to be a theme.  Didn't like the tubes in my nose either.  When I got into my room, my sister and husband were there waiting for me.  The first thing I was told was that my uterus was just fine - no tumors.  But, and there is a but, they did remove a football sized tumor that had its' own blood supply attached to my abdominal wall.  After pathology got through with it, we found it was benign, but also over 7lbs and 9x9x5 inches.  So I basically had been carrying around a baby for who knows how long.

I left the hospital in 48 hours and had a miserable week with about 30 staples in my belly.  The minute the staples came out I was feeling 10x better.  One more week bored out of my mind and I was back at work, then released fully 12/30.

You'd think in the amount of time I've been away that more would be going on, but nope.  That's about it.  So I leave you with this picture from the blizzard in Chicago 5 years ago.  This is part of the reason we left there.  It was high 70's last weekend.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I like to have hobbies.   Sometimes I have a hard time sticking with one, or I get frustrated, but I like to stay busy.   Texas is hot, so in the summer if I’m not in the pool, I’m in the a/c.   The husband also works a couple weekends a month, so having something to pass the time when it’s just me and the kitties is always a good thing. I have a pretty decent sewing machine, and last year I decided it was time to be a quilter.   How hard can it be?   Let’s just say harder than I thought.   The one my brother and sister in law were gifted with is associated with a good amount of swearing, and as I told them, just don’t look at it too closely.   Since then my only real attempt at sewing anything was some panels and a valance for a friend at work.   They actually came out pretty good, but it didn’t give me the confidence to do more.   I’ve made a few aromatherapy rice bags (disclosure: I don’t use my YLEO oils on these, only the cheapies), but my sewing machine is back under the dus

The Lamb Cake

This was the first Good Friday I think I've ever worked.  It used to be a holiday for us, but when your company buys another company, not all good things come from it.  For the Polish, Easter is a bigger holiday than Christmas.  I was sitting in my office thinking about how there would be no Polish sausage, no lamb butter (in the shape of a lamb), and no lamb cake (again, no lambs harmed in making of cake).  I figured there had to be somewhere close by that I could get a lamb cake mold.  I started out calling the local craft stores, Hobby Lobby, Michael's, Jo-Ann's.  No luck.  Next, a google search.  I could order one from Amazon, but it wouldn't deliver until after Easter.  Finally, local bakeries and baking supply stores.  Success!  A baking supply store 45 miles from work had one vintage 3-D lamb cake pan.  I took a long lunch and for $5, and half a tank of gas, here he is! Saturday was the day.  I googled a lot of recipes, and saw a lot of fails.  I went with

Those links on the side - Part 3

So maybe I did save the best for last.  I followed  Love Your Melon  on social media for awhile before I was gifted one of their beanies for my birthday.  Living in Texas, there isn't a long season for needing beanies, and in the past the ones I've had I wore just as long as I had to because they would get so itchy.  All that changed with this black speckled beanie.  I can wear this all day long and it's so soft, it never bothers me! I love what LYM stands for.  They want to put a hat on every child battling cancer.  Not only that, but they give 50%(!) of their net profits to the Love Your Melon Fund to support non-profits in the fight against pediatric cancer.  I went from that one beanie to I think 5 or 6 now.  I had to add a couple of the lightweight beanies so I can extend my usage beyond our short winter.  Did I mention all their products are made in the USA?  There's really no reason to not run over and get yourself one.  Use my code @bchbnd and score free shi